Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Gals and Moon



It took me more than two decades to feel secure with my writing skills. There was, however, when I first started out with this profession, the cockiness set in, and I told myself that I could write about anything (non-fiction, in a magazine feature article-length piece). With a bit of research, I was ready to go.

Then, the food poisoning happened. Yes, I was hired to write reviews on food, and after a trip to a few places, I had diarrhea so intense that the darkest region in my posterior still quivers in fear just thinking about it.

The confidence (not the arrogance) has somewhat returned, especially after I started contributing to an online portal, because the subjects had been pretty varied, and even recently, I attempted writing about politics in the country. My late brother, Balan, who first encouraged the writer in me, would be proud.

So, imagine my surprise, strangely, that on the very same day, two ladies—one my editor at NMH and another, someone whom I consider an intellectual sparring partner—challenged me into writing something about their own chosen subject.

I accepted both, having now written the piece for NMH. Now, what was my beloved frenemy (I am a cat, she’s into dogs) wanting me to write about?

Women and the moon cycle. She may as well ask me to write about nuclear fission.

After cracking my head, I thought, How would AI respond to that? And I asked ChatGPT the same. The sonovabitch gleefully rattled a piece; here’s the screen cap.



It is still enthusiastically writing... until I shut the browser on its face. Yeah, I can be mean to technology.

Anyway, while I was in deep thought on this subject, something occurred to me about the effect of the moon on living beings. Werewolves!

As everyone knows, legend has it that some normal guys and gals who have been attacked by werewolves themselves will turn into one—on full moon night. They could be anyone you know, from your school bus driver to your grandma’s sex therapist.

So, what does that tell you about women’s monthly predicament and the effect of the moon on both gals and wolves? They are both immensely angry. Werewolves will kill you. Girls having periods will tear you from limb to limb if you accidentally walk into their brooding moments. Be careful!

And what are the connections between werewolves and women? Actually nothing. I just tried to link 'em up.

Anyway, back to the given topic, I did learn that over the centuries, womenkind found a close link between the moon and their own period cycles. The article here says: “Traditionally, women bleed with the new moon and ovulate with the full moon. This assumption has been built into work with moon phases.”

Also, after telling us (thank you) that during the ovulation period, gals bodies are most fertile, Then, moving on, the goddamned articles started giving colours to the periods! White moon, pink moon, mauve moon, whatever. I am colour blind.

Which means I have a perfect excuse for me to no longer research this stuff. If it involves colour, it ain’t my gig.

No comments:

Matt the Cat And The Vet

  Note:; The poem is my own... the picture, though, was AI prompted. There was once a cat Whose name Matthew or Matt He went to see a vet Co...