Saturday, October 26, 2019

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)


Sometimes Malaysia is lucky not only because we have the controversial Durian, the incontrovertibly delicious Nasi Lemak, the controversial former Prime Minister, and the recalcitrant … oops… indestructible current PM… (are these lucks? For Whom?), and for selected film buffs like me, we get to see some films first before other countries.

This is the case of Terminator: Dark Fate, the highly non-anticipated “oh no, not another one” sequel, which arrived here ahead of US and some European countries. I caught it. And as expected, it has its highs and lows.

I have not seen the Christian Bale flick and the Genesis one…and I believe they are not mentioned or referred to at all here. This one is a direct sequel to the first sequel (second Terminator, if you are confused…it happens in these days and age of prequel, side-quel, reboot, reimagining, alternate university…you guys okay? Sure?).

What I loved the most was that it gave Arnold very little to do. A bit of de-ageing technology, which is all the rage now in Hollywood that is going to split the actors union to the fresh and de-ageable fractions for sure, we see Arnie in the flashback, and later, after half of the films running hour. And interestingly, his appearance helped to loosen the coiled tension that was the first three-quarters of the flick.

But what will set this film apart from the other Terminator flicks, is that this is essentially an action chick-flick. We get three gals, from three different age group and three different timelines, mind you, battling some black gooey thingy standard programmed Terminator. They sure kick buts, guys. Guys?
The girls had good chemistry, and physics too. Hamilton, especially looks incredibly buff and looks good with wrinkles…sort of like babe version of Sean Connery. I was not much of her fan during the big hair era, whether she is battling a cyborg or loving a lion-man(e) hybrid, but here I am terribly impressed. I must apologise to my mother who is a huge fan of Beauty and The Beast TV series.

At 63, Hamilton held herself well, blasting away the creepy cyborg, lashing out with one-liners, some very hilarious (she gets to say “I’ll be back” this time). Hamilton literally puts all the other action gals to shame with her gusto performance, chewing sceneries, stealing them even from the former governor, leading the younger girls to kick metal and fleshy asses.

And we are shown the vulnerable side of her too, much less we forget where she started from, a low paid waiter in the first film and something sad inevitably happens in the said flashback sense that crushes her. I am very happy that they decided to bring her back because this really gave a breath of fresh (?) air to the franchise that’s descending into B-grade-dom.

I am afraid, that is the only good thing I have to say about this film. Most action scenes are generic, the sci-fi stuff is nothing new. Hardly something that we get excited about. But then, since when has science fiction has ceased to be exciting after the advent of computer graphics imagery, no?

I also confess that I half-slept during the crucial action scene towards the climax. No, seriously. They did not register at all…and its not even because I lacked sleep. I slept well. It is just the scene lacked any urgency…we know what is going to happen, as opposed to the scenes in the beginning when it was just the vulnerable gals (before Sarah turned up) trying to continue breathing.

I think this is the best sequel since Judgement Day. I am not sure if there are more, but if Hamilton is in it, I will definitely watch it. You betcha.

No comments:

Matt the Cat And The Vet

  Note:; The poem is my own... the picture, though, was AI prompted. There was once a cat Whose name Matthew or Matt He went to see a vet Co...