Friday, December 15, 2023

Indiana Jones and The Dial Of Destiny

Apparently I didn't post this here, found it in my Facebook (July 1st, 2023). That's how insignificant it is. But I better have this here for the record.


*There could be spoilers here*

I'll rank 'em first.

1. Raiders 

2. Crusade

3. Doom

4. Crystal Skull

5. This damned thing.

The film had already been getting bad press post it's Cannes preview despite the "standing ovation" Harrison Ford received. It was, I suspect, for Ford's career ...not for this dull fest of a disappointment.

The "jump the shark" climax was a bit too much for me to take, and I didn't even had any issue with Crystal Skull's alien ending. But man, Archemedes himself, guys?

The first half was good fun, almost classic Indy. Almost. Because the "wit" is missing...that sparkle that can only come from Spielberg/Lucas magic. It's none. Many moments just passed by heavily investing on Ford's frown.... actually, frowniest here. That Indy cleverness is almost none, remember those private moment we have with him where he knows, and we knew, not the other characters, that he's gonna get out of the mess somehow? That silly excitement of anticipation? None.

It's not the age thing. Ford looks great here, and may be shuffling a bit when rushing but for an 80 years old, he's believable during some of the scenes. But those scenes don't work. The action scenes are choppy, lacked the grace, that balletic quality we've always come to associate with these films.

The supporting characters are unmemorable on top of that. There's been complain that Phoebe Waller Bridge who plays Indy's goddaughter sort of overshadowed him...no, thankfully she was less annoying than Mutt character Shia Lebeuf played in Crystal Skull

The third act was a mess...or, I don't know...I got bored and sleepy and it's still morning. The plot involving time travel just drifted pass my consciousness like a harmless domestic fly. I didn't care. And when it happened, it was perhaps one of the worst time travel schtick I had witnessed on big screen (it didn't help that we are getting bored with these time jumping, multi verse thingy).

This movie shouldn't have happened. Not how Indy should end (if indeed that's the case, the hat never get to be hung long). I'd be genuinely surprised if this film make some decent collection.

#rakeshmovietalk


No comments:

Matt the Cat And The Vet

  Note:; The poem is my own... the picture, though, was AI prompted. There was once a cat Whose name Matthew or Matt He went to see a vet Co...